I have been a member of the RIT networking faculty since 1998. I also write for O'Reilly and run a youtube channel for fun. I try to keep things updated so check back. I make lots of free stuff for the youtube channel but if you want more in-depth content, pick up one of the books or take a look at the detailed videos I make for O'Reilly.
Coming Soon: IoT and GENI pages are delayed in favor of the additional networking videos. But, still working in that direction. I'll throw Juniper into the mix.
Updates for 2017
- As always - lots of new videos. It is always best to check youtube.
- FreeNAS and ESXi build - labbed it up and made a video series on the channel.
- Generic Routing Encapsulation - for those interested in tunnels!
- New subnetting and supernetting videos!
- OpenFlow pcap files used for the videos:
- OpenFLow and SDN Videos
- Crazy packet captures!
- New Videos
- Packet Guide to Core Network Protocols 2nd Ed. - The original had 7 chapters. I've added three chapters since and O'Reilly made it a second edition. IPv6 has already been posted and the newest stuff is now available.
Chapter 9 - TCP
video: Part I - http://youtu.be/x48TuRzktyE
video: Part II - http://youtu.be/3YkzRFjpYt8
Chapter 10 - UDP
video: Port Scans - http://youtu.be/UBs6q2ERjBw
video: DHCP - http://youtu.be/8wiKjaWBscQ
- New HowTo videos: Router on a Stick Cisco Call Manager Express Basic Setup Cisco DHCP and TFTP
- We ran an SDN seminar this summer - places to start looking: Packetpushers.net and Opennetworking.org and networkstatic.net
- Recent videos:controllers wireless bridging omnipeek capture VLANs
- IEEE Workgroup 1910.1 Meshed Tree Protocol - yes we're an official project under the IEEE Communications Society. The idea is to compete with RSTP, TRILL and SPB.
Most recently we've started talking about flows. But I also posted several for the two new chapters being added to the Packet Guide to Routing and Switching: Multicast (IGMP and PIM) and Network Address Translation (NAT)
Flows Part 2: https://youtu.be/hRpnBeWIXKY
Flows Part 1: https://youtu.be/3UlhI7BM2Kw
NAT series start: https://youtu.be/mowwlXlFXBs
Multicast series start: https://youtu.be/feEggs7rplU
Part 1: https://youtu.be/HzPptLp5w94
Part 2: https://youtu.be/izM6DrjgU9U
Part 3: https://youtu.be/HUjd3jijkwY
Subnets part 1: https://youtu.be/e_sTEj9sqUI
Subnets part 2: https://youtu.be/jHvOdPwj5l0
I am working through the details of my SDN build. This series includes not only what I did but also details and captures on the OpenFlow protocol. Here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrancVv1TdY_tThnqQC9a7kaTfnqiP7-A
Huge frames (smaller file) - http://www.brucehartpence.com/jumbo-framev2.pcapng
Intro to Virtualization - http://youtu.be/alGKPB42b4k
iperf video - http://youtu.be/HkX5QffUQ4A
What the heck is happening?! - http://youtu.be/9ItgYUi9TQY
Packet of the Week: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrancVv1TdY9aQbdI7E35fMrlMT4ee5e6
GEC '20: For anyone interested in network research or SDN it's a good resource and a great bunch of folks: www.geni.net
Our projects in virtualization and protocol design - all kinds of geeky fun!
Email: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 585-475-7938
And of course, the social media sites listed on this page.