I have been a member of the RIT networking faculty since 1998. I also write for O'Reilly and run a youtube channel for fun. I try to keep things updated so check back. I make lots of free stuff for the youtube channel but if you want more in-depth content, pick up one of the books or take a look at the detailed videos I make for O'Reilly.
Coming Soon: IoT and GENI pages
Updates for July 2016
- Two new chapters being added to the Packet Guide to Routing and Switching: Multicast (IGMP and PIM) and Network Address Translation (NAT)
- FreeNAS and ESXi build - labbed it up and made a video series on the channel.
- Generic Routing Encapsulation - for those interested in tunnels!
- New subnetting and supernetting videos!
- OpenFlow pcap files used for the videos:
- OpenFLow and SDN Videos
- Crazy packet captures!
- New Videos
- Packet Guide to Core Network Protocols 2nd Ed. - The original had 7 chapters. I've added three chapters since and O'Reilly made it a second edition. IPv6 has already been posted and the newest stuff is now available.
Chapter 9 - TCP
video: Part I - http://youtu.be/x48TuRzktyE
video: Part II - http://youtu.be/3YkzRFjpYt8
Chapter 10 - UDP
video: Port Scans - http://youtu.be/UBs6q2ERjBw
video: DHCP - http://youtu.be/8wiKjaWBscQ
- New HowTo videos: Router on a Stick Cisco Call Manager Express Basic Setup Cisco DHCP and TFTP
- We ran an SDN seminar this summer - places to start looking: Packetpushers.net and Opennetworking.org and networkstatic.net
- Recent videos:controllers wireless bridging omnipeek capture VLANs
- IEEE Workgroup 1910.1 Meshed Tree Protocol - yes we're an official project under the IEEE Communications Society. The idea is to compete with RSTP, TRILL and SPB.
Should be fall 2016 and IIRC, free if you already have the book. As always, supported by examples and packet captures. I'll also make videos for the youtube channel.
Part 1: https://youtu.be/HzPptLp5w94
Part 2: https://youtu.be/izM6DrjgU9U
Part 3: https://youtu.be/HUjd3jijkwY
Subnets part 1: https://youtu.be/e_sTEj9sqUI
Subnets part 2: https://youtu.be/jHvOdPwj5l0
I am working through the details of my SDN build. This series includes not only what I did but also details and captures on the OpenFlow protocol. Here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrancVv1TdY_tThnqQC9a7kaTfnqiP7-A
Huge frames (smaller file) - http://www.brucehartpence.com/jumbo-framev2.pcapng
Intro to Virtualization - http://youtu.be/alGKPB42b4k
iperf video - http://youtu.be/HkX5QffUQ4A
What the heck is happening?! - http://youtu.be/9ItgYUi9TQY
Packet of the Week: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrancVv1TdY9aQbdI7E35fMrlMT4ee5e6
GEC '20: For anyone interested in network research or SDN it's a good resource and a great bunch of folks: www.geni.net
Our projects in virtualization and protocol design - all kinds of geeky fun!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com Telephone: 585-475-7938
And of course, the social media sites listed on this page.